CRITERIA FOR ADMISSION INTO DRUG COURT
The Cheboygan County Drug Court shall determine whether an individual may be admitted to the Drug Court. No individual has a right to be admitted into Drug Court (MCL 600.1064(1)). Minimum qualifications for admission into Drug Court include that the participant
- be at least 17 years of age;
- must reside in Cheboygan County;
- not have any outstanding warrants or pending charges from another jurisdiction*;
- must meet ASAM and DSM IV R criteria for substance abuse or dependency;
- is not a “violent offender” pursuant to MCL 600.1060(g)
“Violent offender” means an individual who meets either of the following criteria:(i) Is currently charged with or has pled guilty to, or, if a juvenile, is currently alleged to have committed or has admitted responsibility for, an offense involving the death of or a serious bodily injury to an individual, or the carrying, possessing or use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by that individual, whether or not any of these circumstances are an element of the offense, or is criminal sexual conduct of any degree. (ii) Has 1 or more prior convictions for, or, if a juvenile, has 1 or more prior findings of responsibility for, a felony involving the use or attempted use of force against another individual with the intent to cause death or serious bodily harm.
*A defendant who can clear outstanding warrants or charges in other jurisdictions or demonstrates satisfactorily that they are in the process of resolution before his plea in Drug Court may be accepted into the program.
PROCESS FOR ADMISSION INTO DRUG COURT
Immediately after arraignment on the pending charge(s), defendants wishing to be admitted into the Cheboygan County Drug Court should have their attorney
- make contact with Karen Osier, Drug Court Coordinator, and advise of the desire to enter the program;
- complete a Drug Court referral form (typed or printed) and deliver the same to the Prosecuting Attorney for review.