Financial - Emergent Need

Financial Assistance

Financial Assistance
The Cheboygan County Department of Veterans Services provides financial assistance for emergent needs only to qualified veterans and their families for temporary assistance for emergencies or hardships concerning shelter, food, utilities, automobile, and other circumstances.

Assistance must be for an emergency and not for the relief of an inconvenience, nor for the purchase of a want/desire. Assistance cannot be used for long term problems or chronic financial difficulties. Applicant should have attempted and able to show proof of resolving the emergency or hardship through every reasonable means available prior to asking for assistance.


Applications: Mailed, Faxed 231-627-8469, or Brought to office (By Appointment Only).

Do not email applications due to Personal Privacy issues.

Call Cheboygan Veterans Services with questions (231) 627-8833
Incomplete applications will be returned. Each fund is limited to one application per calendar year. Repeat applicants must provide new documentation with each new application. Applicant may not apply for duplicate financial help
from other funds.

In order to qualify for financial assistance the veteran must provide proof of:
1) An “honorable” or “other than dishonorable” (military discharge- DD-214)
2) Cheboygan County Residency.
3) Current financial disclosure.

Applicant must submit actual bills with application, including any shut-off notices. In the event where work is to be performed i.e. car, house; applicant must provide two estimates from two different licensed/insured vendors.
If application is approved, payment will be made directly to vendors on behalf of the veteran/applicant. Veteran/applicant will be notified of a "Notice of Decision" upon approval or disapproval.

Assistance Funds may take 2 or more weeks to process locally ... longer if sent to State Level.

Veterans Assistance Fund (VAF)

  • Must have been discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.
  • Must have served at least 90 days active military service or separated as a result of a service connected disability or died while on active duty
  • Wartime service IS NOT a requirement

Application: Attachment below

This fund is solely supported by donations and all donations accepted go 100% directly to veterans assistance and not to the County fund

Donation checks may be written out to:
Cheboygan County Treasurer
(Treasurer deposits into Veterans Fund)
Please mail check to:
Cheboygan County Department of Veterans Services

Soldiers Relief Fund (SRF)
Eligibility: In addition to the qualification requirements stated previously, applicants must have met active duty military time-in-service requirement (90 days pre-1980, 24 months after 9/8/1980), with one day of service during approved Wartime Eras. Must have "Honorable" discharge.

Application: Attachment below

This fund is supported by the Cheboygan County General Fund.

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund (MVTF)
Eligibility: In addition to the qualification requirements stated previously, applicants must have served 180 days active military service to include 180 days of wartime service during approved Wartime Eras or awarded one of the Armed Forced Expeditionary Medal's. Must have "Honorable" discharge.

Application: Attachment below

This fund is supported by the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund.


County Veteran Service Officer
Richard Wiles, Accredited
(231) 627-8833

870 S. Main Street, Room 122
PO Box 70
Cheboygan, MI 49721
(231) 627-8833
Fax: (231) 627-8469

Monday through Friday
8:00am to 4:00pm
Veterans are seen by either WALK-IN or can make an APPOINTMENT if time is a factor.
Check for holiday availability.

Additional Staff
Assistant CVSO
Sara Cunningham, Accredited
(231) 627-8833