Home Improvement Loans

Cheboygan County offers loans to qualified homeowners who need to make home repairs. This program is designed to improve the quality of life for residents of Cheboygan County by rehabilitating existing homes. 

Allowable repairs consist of:

  • Installation and/or repair of sanitary water and waste disposal systems, together with related plumbing and fixtures, which will meet local health department requirements.
  • Energy consideration measure such as insulation, combination screen/storm windows, and doors.
  • Electrical wiring
  • Repair of or provision for structural supports and foundations.
  • Repair or replacement of the roof.
  • Replacement of severely deteriorated siding or porches.
  • Alterations of the home’s interior or exterior to provide greater accessibility for any handicapped occupant within the household.

To apply you must:

  • be a Cheboygan County resident, and
  • either own or in the process of buying your owner-occupied, single-family dwelling, and
  • have a home that is at least 5 years old, and
  • have lived in your home for at least 1 year, and
  • have current and sufficient homeowner’s property insurance, and
  • have all your property taxes paid, and
  • qualify under the income guidelines (please call us at 231-627-8489 for current guidelines)

You can be a qualified contractor if you are:

  • licensed by the state, and
  • furnish evidence of Comprehensive public liability insurance, property damage insurance, and worker’s compensation insurance, and
  • will obtain all permits required and conform with all applicable local codes and ordinances, and
  • must provide all materials, equipment and labor necessary to perform the work stated in the specifications. All materials and workmanship must meet minimum housing quality standards as set forth in the current Michigan residential code.

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) To file a complaint of discrimination: write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (202) 720-5964 (voice and TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Applicaitons and Forms

Michael Turisk
Director of Planning & Zoning
(231) 627-8485

870 S. Main St., Room 103
Cheboygan, MI 49721
(800) 649-3777
Fax: (231) 627-3646

Additional Staff
Assistant to Director of Planning & Zoning
Debobie Tomlinson
(231) 627-8489