Personal Protection Orders

What is a PPO?

A PPO is a court order that may require another individual from contacting, threatening or committing violent acts against you. There are two types of PPO’s:

Domestic PPO: You may get a Domestic PPO if the person you want protection from is: (1) your spouse or former spouse; (2) someone with whom you have a child in common; (3) someone you are or have dated; or (4) someone who lives or lived in the same household as you. You must show that this person is interfering with your personal freedom or threatened or committed violence against you.

Stalking PPO: A stalking PPO may be granted in situations where someone has done a pattern – two or more acts – without your consent that make you feel threatened, harassed, frightened or molested.

Juvenile PPO: For all juvenile PPO’s, a “Petition and Order for Appointment of Next Friend” must be completed with the Petition and Order.  A juvenile PPO may be granted in situations where someone may have multiple acts without your consent that make you feel threatened, harassed or frightened.

If these acts are happening at school, school functions or on a bus, the school may have other ways to handle these situations.   Off of school grounds, the PPO’s are treated just like the adult PPO’s.   

How do I get a PPO application?

You may use the forms which are provided on this page or you may obtain the forms which are  available at the County Clerk’s office. The form must be filled out completely and legibly. You may attach additional information to the form. The form must be turned into the County Clerk after being filled out.

Tips for filling out a PPO:

  • You are the “Petitioner”. The person you want protection from is the “Respondent”.
  • Using great detail – explain the Respondent’s actions, what happened as a result, and the dates in which the events occurred. A police report or additional evidence is NOT required, but we highly recommend attaching anything that will assist the Judge in understanding your situation. Please remember, the Judge knows nothing about your situation, so be as detailed/descriptive as possible.
  • You must provide your mailing address, but it does not have to be your residence.
  • If you fear immediate injury or that you will be harmed if you have to wait for a hearing on the PPO, check the box that says “Ex Parte”.

What do I do after a PPO is issued? 

  1. The PPO must be “served” on the Respondent. A PPO can be “served” in the following ways:
  • (a) through a local police agency;
  • (b) by a process server;
  • (c) by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, delivery restricted to addressee; or
  • (d) by an adult other than you.

       2. After “service”, you must file a “proof of service” with the county clerk.

What if a Respondent violates the PPO?

If a PPO is violated, call 911 or the local police immediately. If the police do not arrest the Respondent, you may go to the Circuit Court and ask to file a “Motion to Show Cause”. The Respondent must come to court after being arrested or after you file a motion to show cause with the court. The court may jail Respondent for up to 93 days and/or impose a fine of up to $500.

Prosecuting Attorney
Melissa Goodrich
(231) 627-8450

870 S. Main Street, Rm 143
P.O. Box 70
Cheboygan, MI 49721
(231) 627-8450
Fax: (231) 627-8405

Mon-Fri, 8:30am-4:30 pm

Additional Staff
Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney
Amber L. Libby, MPA JD LLM
Assistant Prosecuting Attorney
Paige Miller
Officer Manager/Clerk for District Court cases
Melanie Hansen
Victim Advocate/Witness Coordinator
Jillian Piotrowski
Trial Support Specialist
Jaimee Vizina
Clerk for Circuit Court Cases
Juliet K. Rettell
Clerk for Probate Court Cases
Matthew J. Friday, MA