Planning & Zoning


After carefully reviewing the State’s Interim Recommendations for COVID-19 Community Mitigation Strategies (, our office has made the difficult decision to implement new office procedures in an effort to limit contact between County staff and the public.  Implementation of procedures might result in reduced staffing now and in the coming weeks.

If you need to apply for a permit, we ask that you please do so electronically.  All required Planning and Zoning Department applications are available for download at You may submit all applications and supporting documents electronically to p& or by mail. If you have questions, please contact us at (231) 627-8489 or  via email.

Additional safeguards may be employed, including reduced office hours, postponed on-site inspections or closures. Our intent is to continue to provide the best possible service during these unusual circumstances while doing our best to safeguard the health and well-being of the public and County staff.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.


MIchael Turisk, Director
Cheboygan County Planning & Zoning
870 South Main Street
Cheboygan, MI 49721
Phone:  (231)627-8489
Fax:  (231)627-3679



Cheboygan County Planning & Zoning Department is located in the County Building in a shared office with Cheboygan Conservation District.

For us to best provide guidance on your project we look forward to hearing your ideas well in advance of applying for a permit. This will help ensure that your project meets your goals as well as the requirements of the Zoning and Soil Erosion laws. 

All buildings or structures that are erected, moved, added to, or altered require a zoning permit. This includes such work as constructing an agricultural building, adding a second story to an existing structure, or placing a mobile home on a parcel. A Soil Erosion permit will most likely be needed for work done (including grading or other earth change) within 500' of a lake, pond, river, or stream. Please contact us and our friendly staff for information regarding specific requests.

In general, non-residential structures and uses are reviewed by the Planning Commission and not administratively. Please contact our friendly staff for information regarding specific requests.

Some items to be aware of that will help us ensure your permit is approved quickly and meets your needs:

  • Your Tax ID is needed for new construction on a pending parcel split. We can find that for you if you don't have it handy.
  • Your permit, once approved, remains valid if construction begins within six months of the date of approval. Once construction is complete, the permit is good indefinitely.

Current Applications In Review

Below are applications which have been submitted and will be reviewed by the Planning Commission or Zoning Board of Appeals. Please visit the Planning & Zoning Department (870 S. Main St., Rm. #103, Cheboygan, MI 49721) if you prefer to review the application and site plan submitted in the office.

Zoning Ordinance Amendment(s) In Review

Zoning Ordinance Amendments In Review

Code Enforcement

Planning & Zoning Department handles all Zoning and Soil Erosion/Stormwater complaints. Zoning enforcement excludes City of Cheboygan, Burt Twp, and the Villages of Mackinaw City and Wolverine.

If you wish to file a complaint, please do one of the following:

  • Submit a complaint form to the Planning & Zoning Department.  Follow up can be provided if a complaint form is submitted.  
  • Contact the Planning & Zoning Department to file an anonymous complaint. 

Please call (231)627-8827 if you have any questions.

Director of Planning and Zoning
Michael Turisk
(231) 627-8485

870 South Main Street, Room 103
PO Box 70
Cheboygan, MI 49721
(231) 627-8489
Fax: (231) 627-3646

Mon-Fri, 8am-12pm & 1pm-4pm

Additional Staff
Assistant To Director Of Planning And Zoning
Debbie Tomlinson
(231) 627-8489
Enforcement Officer/Soil Erosion Officer
Michael Peltier
(231) 627-8827
Jennifer Merk
(231) 627-8475
Building Official/Soil Erosion Officer
Matt Cronk
(231) 627-8488
Soil Erosion Officer
Paul Morse
(231) 627-8407