Please follow the below procedures step-by-step.  Building Permit Applications will not be accepted without ALL the necessary information.

  1. House Number
    Contact Cheboygan County GIS Department 231-627-8465.  GIS assigns addresses for vacant land and also will verify an existing address is correct.

  2. DEQ Permits (Wetland, High Risk Erosion, Flood Plain):  
    Contact the DEQ in Gaylord 989-731-4920 or in Cadillac 231-775-3960.

  3. Copy of approved Soil & Sedimentation Permit: Contact Cheboygan County Planning & Zoning Department 231-627-8489. (Required if within 500 feet of water or disturbing more than (1) acre of land.) 

  4. Copy of approved Zoning Permit: Contact the Cheboygan County Planning & Zoning Department 231-627-84890.  Burt Township contact James Larson 231-238-8667 or 989-297-2122, City of Cheboygan contact 231-627-9931, Village of Mackinaw City contact 231-436-5351, Village of Wolverine contact 231-525-8351. 

  5. Driveway Permits:
    Contact the Cheboygan County Road Commission 231-238-7775.

  6. Building Permit Application - By Whom the Application is Made: 
    Application for a permit shall be made by the owner or lessee of the building or structure, or by the agent of either.

    • Completely fill out all applicable specification sheets listed:

    • Truss Specifications
      When using Pre-Engineered Trusses for Garage Construction a Copy of the Truss Specification Sheet will be Required Before a Framing Inspection (when covering interior walls) or a Final Inspection can be Performed.  Truss Specifications can be Obtained from Whomever the Trusses were Purchased.


  7. Sub-Trade Applications - By Whom the Application is Made: 
    Can be applied for by owner of property if the homeowner is performing the work in their own single-family dwelling.  If a licensed contracting is hired to perfrom the work, by law that hired contractor MUST obtain the electrical, plumbing and/or mechanical permit.