Eligible Wartime Eras
Under current law, VA recognizes the following wartime periods to determine eligibility for VA Pension benefits:
· Mexican Border Period (May 9, 1916 – April 5, 1917 for Veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders, or adjacent waters)
· World War I (April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918)
· World War II (December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946)
· Korean conflict (June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955)
· Vietnam era (February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period; otherwise August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975)
· Detroit Riots (1967)
· Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – Present)
OEF (2001 - Present)
OIF (2003 - 2011)
OND (Sept 2010 – Dec 2011)
You may be eligible for special VA health care. Public Law 105-368 authorizes VA to provide combat veterans cost-free care for conditions potentially related to their combat service for up to two years following their discharge or re-lease from active duty. For those veterans who do not enroll with VA during this post two-year discharge period, eligibility for enrollment and subsequent care will be based on other factors.
Those of you who have been diagnosed with any of the conditions listed below recognized as service-connected based on exposure to Agent Orange may be entitled to disability compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs. To be eligible for this benefit you must have served in the country of Vietnam between February 28, 1961 and May 7, 1975 and have a current medical diagnosis. In certain instances those who served off the shores of Vietnam may also be eligible.
Agent Orange (This list is updated periodically by the VA, call for latest information)
AL Amyloidosis, B-Cell Leukemias, Chloracne, Type 2 Diabetes, Hodgkin’s Disease, Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, Multiple Myeloma, Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, Peripheral Neuropathy, Porphyria Cutanea Tarda, Prostate Cancer, Respiratory Cancers (Lung, Larynx, Bronchus or Trachea), Soft-Tissue Sarcoma, Parkinson’s Disease, Ischemic Heart Disease, Leukemia.
New Ship categories for Agent Orange:
8:00am to 4:00pm
Veterans are seen by either WALK-IN or can make an APPOINTMENT if time is a factor.
Check for holiday availability.