Rent a slip, Boat put-ins, pump outs

Straits Regional Ride
Cheboygan, Emmet and Presque Isle Counties

Cheboygan County Fair
Fairgrounds, vendor information, dates


If you have questions for any of the Building Inspectors their office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday – Friday.

The field inspections will be conducted from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.


————– 24 HOURS NOTICE PLEASE ————–



  • EMAIL:
  • FAX: 231-627-8454


Building Permit Applications:

Requirements for Obtaining a Building
Building Permit Application
Residential Specification Sheet
Residential Cross Section Plan
Residential Stair Specification
Residential Deck Specification
Residential Garage Specification
Residential Pole Building Specification
Building Contractor Registration

Building Code References, Specs & Handouts:

2015 Michigan Residential Code – Significant Changes
2015 Michigan Residential Code Handout – Effective 02.08.16
2015 Michigan Uniform Energy Code Compliance Handout – Effective 02.08.16
Blower Door Test Report Checklist – Effective 02.08.16
Certified Blower Door Test Professionals
2015 Michigan Residential Landings, Stairways, Handrails & Guards Handout – Effective 02.08.16
2015 MRC Handrail Graspability – Effective 02.08.16
State Approved Modular Handout – Updated 02.08.16
HUD Mobile Home & Sectional Handout – Updated 02.08.16
HUD Mobile Home & Sectional Inspection Checklist
Flood Zone Construction Code Handout
Residential Inspection Checklist – Updated 05.26.16
Permanent Wood Foundation Checklist
Permanent Wood Foundation Resources
Wood Deck Construction Guide
Licensing Requirements

Frequently Asked Questions:

What construction projects require a building permit?
Most new construction will require a building permit. Only a couple of projects, being newly constructed, are exempt from building permits. These include detached residential accessory buildings, like storage sheds, that are under 200 square feet in size, and buildings being used for agricultural purposes only. Other projects requiring permits include additions, decks and remodeling projects. If you are changing the use of the building or spaces within, a building permit is required. If you are building walls or altering the structure, a building permit is required. Painting, wallpapering, tiling carpeting, cabinets and counter tops and similar finish work does not require a permit. If you are in doubt about needing a building permit, it is advised that you check with the building department, prior to beginning your project.

What is the purpose of a building permit?
Building permits are a requirement of the state building code. Most building permits are issued by local units of government, such as city, county, or township. The issuance of building permits help these local units of government keep track of construction activity in their areas. By issuing building permits, these local units of government can also be sure that the buildings being constructed, are meeting the minimum requirements of the state building code, thereby providing safe buildings in their communities.

What is a building code?
A building code is a minimum set of construction standards that must be followed in the construction of the buildings and structures that we use and occupy.

Who needs building codes?
We all need building codes, so that the methods being used for the construction or remodeling of buildings, will provide structures that are safe for all to use and occupy. The building code provides the minimum requirements for builders to follow in construction projects. The building code helps provide the consumer with some sense of security, knowing that their building is required to meet certain building and safety codes.

How reliable are building codes?
Building codes have been around for many years. As the years have passed, many changes to the building code have been made. Building codes are, and will continue to be fairly reliable, as long as the building codes continue to be updated. With the development of new and improved methods of construction, and constant changes in the materials with which we build, changes in the building code are inevitable. These changes must be made to help in providing safe, structurally sound buildings that will last for many years.

Why inspect a building during construction?
Inspection of a building is needed to ensure that the construction of, and the materials used, meet the minimum requirements of the building code. Through inspections of a building project, the builder is assisted by the inspector to make sure what is being built will meet code requirements. The building owner is assured through inspections, that they are getting a building that is considered safe and constructed to building code requirements.

What if I want to do a building project myself?
A building owner can do a building project themselves, as long as it is for their own use and on their own property.

Why should minimum safety codes apply to my own house?
Minimum safety codes must apply to all buildings covered by the state building code. As much as we like to have control of our future, no one knows for sure what their future holds in store for them. It is inevitable, that the building you own today, will eventually belong to someone else. By having your home meet building code requirements, not only are you provided with a building that is constructed safely, future owners are protected as well.

What code do you use?
The entire state of Michigan is under the “2015 Michigan Residential Building Code” for one and two family dwellings, and the “2015 Michigan Building Code” for all other buildings.

How do I find and hire a reputable contractor?
There are many building contractors out there, and finding the right for your project is a big decision. Your local home builders association may be a good place to start. We have a list of licensed building contractors available on our website. Checking with friends, co-workers, local building supply centers, realtors, and neighbors may also provide some insight. Be sure to ask for references, and ask to see other building projects that the builder may have done in the past few years. Talk to the owners of these projects, if possible. Their insight on a builder can be very helpful in choosing the right builder for your project. After you have chosen a builder, be sure to have a written contract with them. Be sure this contract contains all the information pertinent to your building project, including costs, scope of the project, the time frame for the work being done, and warranties, to protect you after the job has been completed.

What happens if I start my project before I obtain a building permit?
When the Building Department discovers a building project that has been started without a permit, we first make an attempt at contacting the property owner, in writing, to inform them that a permit is required for their project. If the required permit is still not applied for, a second violation letter is sent. If we still get no response a “Stop Work Order” is posted. If the “Stop Work Order is ignored, and no permit is applied for, civil citations and/or prosecution would be the next steps taken.

Can I apply for a building permit if the property is not in my name?
The building permit can be applied for, by the property owner, the building contractor, the architect, or anyone authorized to act as a representative of the property owner. Typically the permit is issued to either, the property owner or the building contractor.

Can I have a friend or family member apply for a permit if they work for a contractor?
No, if the work is being contracted out to others, it should be done by a licensed contractor. The licensed contractor normally applies for the permit covering the work that he is doing. If, however, a property owner applies for a homeowner’s permit, and the project is being done for themselves, on their own property, family and friends can certainly assist in the building project, since the permit is issued to the owner, they are responsible for all work being done.

Are there any papers I need to bring with me when I apply for a permit?
Building projects require approval from other government offices as well. When you apply for your building permit, approval from the Zoning Department is required. If your building permit is for a new residence, a residence addition that is adding additional bedrooms to the home or a garage with living quarters and/or a bathroom, septic approval will be required from the Health Department. If your project is located within 500 feet of water a Soil and Erosion permit may also be required.

(2) sets of plans for your project, including a site plan, also need to be submitted. (1) set of plans is placed in the job file, while the other set is returned to the permit holder, along with the building permit, and depending on the project, a plan review may also be included. The plan review will note certain code requirements, that may not have been noted on the plans. If your project involves the use of engineered trusses, you will eventually be asked for a set of truss specs. These truss specs show how the truss company engineered your particular set of trusses. The building department requires a set of these truss specs to be a permanent part of the job file.

For manufactured and premanufactured homes, a foundation plan, building systems approval report, and tie-down specifications, (all of which are available from the building manufacturer) are required as well. Any paperwork required for a permit, that is not submitted with the application, will be requested, and must be submitted, prior to the issuance of the building permit.

How much will the permit cost me?
The permit fee is based on a few things. These include the use of the building, the type of building being constructed and the size of the building. Permit fees are typically calculated using a formula of square footage multiplied by an average cost per square foot for construction and then a plan review fee is included.

What happens if I don’t call for inspections?
Failure to call for inspections could result in delays and extra costs in the project. For example, if the foundation is back-filled prior to the footing or foundation inspection, additional excavation may be required to expose areas of the foundation down to the footings, for inspection. If walls and ceilings are covered prior to a frame inspection, finish materials may have to be removed so that the framing behind the finish materials can be seen. Failure to have the required inspections will delay the issuance of the final approval and the “Certificate of Occupancy”. A Certificate of Occupancy is issued after all the trades in a building project have had final approval. Many financial institutions are now requiring that a Certificate of Occupancy be issued prior to closing on a mortgage. Insurance companies may require proof that final inspections have been done, prior to insuring a property. The Certificate of Occupancy is proof that all final inspections have been done and approved. By skipping inspections, during the construction process, final approvals may not be given, thereby holding up other important things, like closing on your mortgage and the issuance of insurance policies. Building projects are time consuming and costly enough, not calling for inspections will only add to that time and cost.

Can I move into my new home before it is actually finished?
Some people need to move into their homes prior to their building being completed. The Building Department can issue a “Temporary Certificate of Occupancy”. This allows legal occupancy of the building without it being totally finished. Certain safety issues must be addressed prior to a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy being issued though. Some of these items include heat, running water, a working bathroom, cooking facilities, lights, smoke detectors, handrails and guardrails where required at stairs, decks, landings, etc.. All trades require approval for a “Temporary Certificate of Occupancy” to be issued.

What is the frost depth, here in Northern Michigan?
The frost depth for this area, and most of the state of Michigan, is 42″. Footings are required to be a minimum of 42″ deep., measured from the finish grade to the bottom of the footing.

What is the ground snow load in Cheboygan County?
Cheboygan County has (3) different ground snow load zones 50, 60 and 70 lb/sq ft. Please contact our Department to determine your snow load according to your location.

Frequently Asked Questions

Building Official

Matthew J Cronk
(231) 627-8813


870 South Main Street, Room 102
P.O. Box 70
Cheboygan, MI 49721
(231) 627-8813
Fax: (231) 627-8454


Office Hours:
Monday thru Friday
8am-12pm & 1pm-4pm

Inspector Hours:
Monday thru Friday
In Office: 8am-9am & 3pm-4pm
Field Inspections: 9am-3pm

 Additional Staff

Assistant to the Building Official
Regina Redmond

Electrical Inspector
Bill Eaton

Plumbing/Mechanical Inspector
Don Bedell

Building Inspector
Paul Morse

Plan Review/Building Inspector
Matt Shann


Cheboygan County Sheriff Department
County Building
870 S. Main St.
Cheboygan, MI 49721

Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Indian River Field Office
6984 S. Straits Hwy
Indian River, MI 49749

Cheboygan Department of Public Safety
Cheboygan City Hall
403 N. Huron St.
Cheboygan, MI 49721

Mackinaw City Police Department
Village Hall
102 S. Huron Ave.
Mackinaw City, MI 49701

Tuscarora Township Police Department
Tuscarora Township Hall
3546 S. Straits Hwy
Indian River, MI 49749

Presque Isle County Sheriff’s Department
267 N 2nd St.
Rogers City, MI 49779


Cheboygan County
870 S. Main St.
Cheboygan, MI 49721