Rent a slip, Boat put-ins, pump outs

Straits Regional Ride
Cheboygan, Emmet and Presque Isle Counties

Cheboygan County Fair
Fairgrounds, vendor information, dates

General Information

Get secure online access to your child support case with MiChildSupport,

If you experience any difficulty using the MiChildSupport website, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) at the MiChildSupport site.

Customers can call their local Friend of the Court 24-hour case information access line (Interactive Voice Response – IVR system) and follow the prompts to the MiSDU:

CHEBOYGAN (code 243)
County #016
FIPS 26031


This handbook provides information about duties and procedures for the Friend of the Court (FOC), rights and responsibilities of parties in family law matters, and information about basic court procedures in domestic relations cases.

Information is accurate at the time of printing (2021) and provided in part by the Friend of the Court Bureau and prepared by the Michigan Legislature.

Friend of the Court Handbook


Please contact the FOC office in writing so that complete and accurate information is recorded in the case file. Written communications between the FOC and the parties ensure a complete record is maintained. Requests for enforcement support such as child, spousal, parenting time, medical, etc., must be in writing. When communicating with the FOC, always include the case number assigned to your case and keep your own copy.

Please keep the FOC informed of changes in vital information concerning your case. Provide the FOC with a written notice of any changes of: addresses, names, sources of income, medical insurance, telephone numbers, marital status of parties and minors, legal guardianships/ adoptions, financial status including bankruptcy, and physical custody of the child. Also, notify the FOC of the death of a party or child, the termination of parental rights, the reconciliation of parties, a child’s high school graduation date and any other activity in any other court affecting your child.

If you must contact the FOC by telephone, be sure to give the receptionist your full name, the other party’s full name and your case number. Information about payments and arrearages will not be given over the telephone.

General, non-case specific information can be given over the telephone while only limited case specific information may be given. This is a safeguard to protect the confidentiality of your file and your privacy.

In e-mailing the Friend of the Court, please do not include confidential information in the correspondence.    Our office e-mail is not encrypted and we want to protect your privacy.

Examples of confidential information include:

  • Social security number
  • Birth date
  • Driver’s license information
  • Health information
  • Payment/account information—support and/or banking


Change in Personal Information Form
Client Contact Form


In accordance with Michigan Court Rule 3.218, the Cheboygan County Friend of the Court requires the completion of FOC 72 Request to Access Friend of the Court Records and Decision.

What individuals can access FOC records?
A party, a third party custodian, a guardian, a guardian ad litem or counsel for minor, DHS protective services personnel, and an attorney of record.

What cannot be accessed via this process?
Staff records or notes from investigations, mediations, and settlement conferences, DHS Protective Services reports, mediation records, medical information of a party, communications from minors, FOC grievances filed by another party and responses, a party’s address if release is prohibited by court order, IRS information, and any information provided by a governmental agency which retains confidentiality.

What is the procedure to request access?
Complete the attached Request to Access FOC Records and Decision (FOC 72) and submit to the Friend of the Court. As soon as possible, but no later than 10 working days of the receipt of the request, a determination will be made if the request will be honored or denied, in full or in part. The request will then be processed and a determination made if there is a charge for the type of access requested, if approved.

Why can’t this information be sent to another agency or party if I authorize it?
Because of the Michigan Court Rule, the Friend of the Court can only send the information to the requesting party. You may forward that information as you wish. The FOC cannot send information to mortgage companies, DHS workers, Social Security personnel or housing agencies.

Instructions for completing the Request to Access FOC Records Form

  • Enter your case number at the top right, under Case No.
  • Enter your name and address at the top, and enter your telephone numbers to the right.
  • Under #1, check the box that represents your relationship to the case.
  • Under #2, describe in detail the information you are requesting.
  • Under #3, check whether you wish to see the records or if you would like copies.
  • Date and sign the form and submit.

Please be aware that court orders and legal filings are not FOC records. Requests for those documents should be made to the Circuit Court Clerk.




The Friend of the Court grievance procedure is to be used if you have a complaint regarding the actions of an employee or office operations of the Friend of the Court office. A judge’s or referee’s decision and an order of the court are not issues to be handled through the grievance procedure.

A grievance shall first be filed in writing with the Friend of the Court. If you are not satisfied with the decision of the Friend of the Court, you may file a further grievance, in writing, with the chief judge.

The Friend of the Court/chief judge will investigate and respond to your grievance in a reasonable period of time. If the response cannot be given within 30 days, you will be given a reason why the response is not possible within that time.

You may photocopy the appropriate number of copies of the completed form.

You must also:

1. Provide the names and addresses of the parties in the court case. This will assist the Friend of the Court or chief judge in identifying your case.

2. Provide the name of the county where your domestic relations case is located.

3. Check the appropriate box for the type of complaint (grievance).

4. State your complaint, providing specific details, dates, names, and other important information.

5. Mail or deliver the completed form to the Friend of the Court or the chief judge’s office whichever is appropriate. Keep the last copy (third copy) for your records



Questions—Call Legal Services of Northern Michigan at (989) 705-1067

Michigan Legal Help Website

State Court Administrative Office Self-Help Center

Friend of the Court and Staff Attorney
Kyle J. Ortiz (P85887)


870 S Main Street, Room 210
PO Box 70
Cheboygan, MI 49721
(231) 627-8825
Fax: (231) 627-8417


Monday – Friday
8:00 AM – 4:30 PM

Additional Staff

Custody/Parenting Time Investigator/Mediator
Breanne Thompson
(231) 627-8418

Child Support Senior Case Manager
Samuel Bohl
(231) 627-8802

Child Support Senior Case Manager
Mary Bur
(231) 627-8869

Child Support Case Manager
Tracy Bourgeois
(231) 627-8848

Child Support Case Manager
Cherry Ann Brandt
(231) 627-8826

Assistant to the Friend of the Court
Tina Stead
(231) 627-8825


Cheboygan County Sheriff Department
County Building
870 S. Main St.
Cheboygan, MI 49721

Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Indian River Field Office
6984 S. Straits Hwy
Indian River, MI 49749

Cheboygan Department of Public Safety
Cheboygan City Hall
403 N. Huron St.
Cheboygan, MI 49721

Mackinaw City Police Department
Village Hall
102 S. Huron Ave.
Mackinaw City, MI 49701

Tuscarora Township Police Department
Tuscarora Township Hall
3546 S. Straits Hwy
Indian River, MI 49749

Presque Isle County Sheriff’s Department
267 N 2nd St.
Rogers City, MI 49779


Cheboygan County
870 S. Main St.
Cheboygan, MI 49721