Rent a slip, Boat put-ins, pump outs

Straits Regional Ride
Cheboygan, Emmet and Presque Isle Counties

Cheboygan County Fair
Fairgrounds, vendor information, dates

Landlord/Tenant Cases

To regain possession of your premises, you must first serve the tenant with a NOTICE TO QUIT, for either NON-PAYMENT, or TERMINATION OF TENANCY.

Points to consider:

Non-payment of rent requires you give the tenant seven (7) days to comply.

Termination of tenancy requires you to allow the tenant a full rental period determined by your rental agreement.

After the time given by the Notice to Quit has elapsed and the tenant has not complied, you can file suit by bringing the following to the court:

  • Three copies of the Notice to Quit with the proof of service section filled out and signed.
  • Three copies of any existing lease or rental agreement.
  • Complaint, completely filled out and signed.
  • SUMMONS, partially filled out.
  • An envelope, stamped and addressed to the defendant (tenant) with enough postage to cover the weight of the paperwork.
  • $55.00 filing fee for possession of the premises. The officer will bill you for service.

NOTE: If you need service on a second tenant bring an extra copy of the Notice to Quit and lease.

At the bottom of the complaint form is a section for supplemental damages. This is a separate suit for money, requiring an additional filing fee and personal service of the paperwork, which is not always guaranteed because of the requirement that hearings in these matters be set quickly.

When you have all your paperwork together, the clerk will file your suit and set your case for hearing within 10 days. The owner of the property or his/her attorney must appear in court at the time of hearing.

If you have any questions regarding the legal aspects of your case, please consult an attorney.

Legal Services

If you are seeking to be represented by an attorney in a landlord-tenant matter, you may hire your own attorney or contact Legal Services of Northern Michigan (LSNM) to see if you qualify for legal services.

• Legal Services of Northern Michigan (LSNM) – Gaylord Office
Phone: (989) 705 – 1067 or (888) 645 – 9993
Address: 1349 S. Otsego Ave., Unit 8, Gaylord, MI 49735

In compliance with
Administrative Order 2020-17, here is additional information that may assist you:

• Eviction Diversion Program (EDP)
Dorothy Grant, Eviction Diversion Program Coordinator
Phone: (989) 705 – 1067 or (888) 941 – 9599

Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA)
Phone: (989) 358 – 4678 or (989) 358 – 4659 or (866) 484 – 7077 (ext. 278)
E-mail: housing
Address: 2375 Gordon Rd., Alpena, MI 49707
Fax: (989) 354 – 8399

• Rental Assistance
Northeast Michigan Community Service Agency (NEMCSA)
Phone: (989) 358 – 4700

• Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS)
Cheboygan County Office
Phone: (231) 627 – 8500
Address: 827 S. Huron St., Cheboygan, MI 49721
Fax: (231) 627 – 8546

Note: If you already have a caseworker, you should contact that person to see what you qualify for.

• National Call Center for Homeless Veterans
Phone: (877) 424 – 3838 or (877) 4AID – VET

• Cheboygan County Veterans Office
Phone: (231) 627 – 8469

Below are a list of websites that may be of assistance in finding housing.

Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS)

• Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA)

• Housing Assessment and Resource Agency (HARA)

Veterans Administration Supportive Housing (HUD VASH) administration-supportive-housing-vouchers

If you have questions regarding a landlord-tenant matter, please contact your attorney or any of the agencies listed above and provide them with the Summons & Complaint information you received from the 89th District Court.

District Judge

Michael J. Ekdahl


870 S. Main Street
P.O. Box 70
Cheboygan, MI 49721
(231) 627-8809
Fax: (231) 627-8444


8:00 am – 4:30 pm

M-F(excluding holidays)

Additional Staff

Court Administrator
Jodi Barrette
(231) 627-8809

Fax: 231-627-8444
(231) 627-8809

Fax: 231-627-8444
(231) 627-8809

Fax: 231-627-8444
(231) 627-8809


Cheboygan County Sheriff Department
County Building
870 S. Main St.
Cheboygan, MI 49721

Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Indian River Field Office
6984 S. Straits Hwy
Indian River, MI 49749

Cheboygan Department of Public Safety
Cheboygan City Hall
403 N. Huron St.
Cheboygan, MI 49721

Mackinaw City Police Department
Village Hall
102 S. Huron Ave.
Mackinaw City, MI 49701

Tuscarora Township Police Department
Tuscarora Township Hall
3546 S. Straits Hwy
Indian River, MI 49749


Cheboygan County
870 S. Main St.
Cheboygan, MI 49721